Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sailing in the Sky


When I saw this photo in a newspaper…promoting some tourism, I thought its Heaven and… Photoshop. It was almost like the boat was sailing in the sky and it was so unreal.
Yet, I loved every pixel of it…

I started this painting in 2008…and left it in between…for a lot of reasons.
That I could not paint it as good as it was on the promo,
I couldn’t get that dark green-just a hint away from black, in water colour…
My painting was not shining like it did on a glossy paper…

but above all, i felt repulsive because I couldn't read the romance in my painting.

“A couple embracing each other while sailing in the sky amidst palm trees” - is supposed to be romantic. It was probably the most romantic picture I would have seen but it was not real and I found it so difficult relating to that unreal part of it while painting.

When I see a picture its different... I may like the picture a lot but i don't really relate to it. When I paint something I undergo a different set of feeling. Being my creation its almost like a part of me. My creation, my baby. So, i couldn't stand my baby being any less than the original. I wanted my painting to be exactly like it was on that glossy promotion picture… but the truth is I couldn't create that magic…and I just couldn’t complete it….

Two weeks back when I saw the incomplete painting and there was no original to compare with… I saw my painting for the first time without being prejudice may be.

...and then I found it appealing…just couldn’t control myself to finish it. I was taught in Rabindra Society (in whatever few classes that I attended), never to use black colour in water-colour paintings…but heck, who follows rules,when you are painting from your heart?

It still appears like a dream on the paper…so romantic... but haven’t I learnt that my dreams are real… than the reality!!! So, I am still happily dreaming!!!

Disclaimer:my blogs are not literary work, but just the voice behind my paintings!!!

4 comments:

  1. well thought out! Expctng more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sands...it was a Kerala tourism pic...if i remember correctly :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a bad one. good start. keep fine tuning it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog. well, If you enjoy painting, just go for it. Don't bother what others have to say.. As far as ur happy with wat ur doing, thats all that matters!!

    ReplyDelete